Thursday, November 5, 2009

Hail to the Chef- Rick Bayless

If you've been following GirlThatEats (or if you've met me), you know how much I love Rick Bayless. He's been my favorite Chicago chef since before his Top Chef Master's days, when I could get a rezo at Topolobampo one week out and when the wait at Frontera Grill was only an hour long. I admire his passion- I've never seen anyone speak about chimichurri so excitedly; I respect his contributions to the community- his foundation continues to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars each year for local farmers; I appreciate his loyalty- Topolobampo and Frontera Grill have been Chicago landmarks for more than two decades and, even though his countless awards and accolades could mean success in larger culinary markets like New York and Los Angeles, he has remained true to Chicago and worked diligently to keep our city in the top 3 culinary cities in the country; most of all, though, I worship his cooking.

It's no wonder then, with all of this love and admiration and appreciation, that writing an objective blog about the Rick Bayless empire has been difficult. In fact, I've been working on my Rick Bayless Blog for over two months now. Because the thing is, if you can actually get a highly coveted table at one of Chef Bayless's restaurants, there truly is nothing bad to say (and then I just seem like I'm playing favorites).

Since his menus change every month, I can't spend too much time talking about what dishes I enjoyed as they may never be available again (the Cochinita Pibil is a staple at Topolo and is amazingly delish and the Enchiladas de Mole Poblano at Frontera are the best I've ever had). What I can share, though, are some consistencies you can expect with each trip you make to a Rick Bayless restaurant: great atmosphere, superior service, and flawless food.

Chef Bayless has nailed the art of atmosphere and I'm continually amazed that two completely different restaurants can co-exist in such a small space. Topolobampo and Frontera are separated by a small archway, yet the vibe is significantly different in each setting. Topolo is dim, romantic, and classy, while its "conjoined twin" is loud, fun and sexy. The place is perpetually crowded and there is little room to walk (or sit, or breathe), but the bar staff are friendly and make the wait seem less daunting. Once seated, the servers are welcoming, knowledgeable and attentive, making it quite evident that Chef Bayless pays particular attention to his guests' experiences. Each year, he closes the restaurants and takes his entire staff to a different region of Mexico to sample local dishes and learn about local customs. Check out the staff bios on his website- most of his executive team has been with him for over a decade.

And then, after the waiting, after soaking in the ambiance, after meeting the friendly server- the food comes. From the citrusy guacamole, to the hearty soups (the best corn soup I've ever had was on the Topolo menu), through the flavorful entrees, and down to the last lick of the dessert spoon (Tres Leches Cake with a White Chocolate shell and almond milk- can we say A-MA-ZING?!), Chef Bayless repeatedly proves culinary genius. He's dedicated much of his life to understanding Mexico- the culture, the people, and the food- and his respect for the country is evident in every bite of every dish he serves.

Rick Bayless has given us Chicago foodies something to brag about, something to be proud of, and something to call our own. Sure, the wait at Frontera Grill seems endless and Topolobampo has no reservations available through at least mid-January, but be patient. Don't give up. I promise, its worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment