Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Grocery Bistro

I'm frequently asked why I started blogging about my dining experiences. The more times I am asked, the more I realize that the answer to that question has changed in the few months since I started this endeavor. Truth be told, I had never put much thought into becoming a "blogger". I really just enjoyed trying new restaurants around the city and sharing my experiences with friends and family. I used to write some pretty elaborate emails, detailing my dining adventures and making recommendations on everything from awesome hidden gem brunch spots to good-to-bring-clients-to swanky restaurants. I became a personal Zagat of sorts.

I remember sitting at brunch one morning with my parents, brother, and some of my dad's out-of-town colleagues. They asked my parents for dining recommendations and I sort of monopolized the conversation from there, giving detailed accounts of more restaurants than they could possibly visit during their short weekend stay. At one point, my dad looked at me, slightly shocked by my passion, and told me I should start blogging about my experiences.

Now, nearly six months after writing my first blog, my motivation has significantly changed. Though I still love sharing my personal stories, I have a bigger goal- a deeper mission that is my perpetual inspiration- to keep great chefs and great restaurants in Chicago by doing what I love... eating. And while this sounds like a pretty selfless ambition, the truth is, it's not. In fact, I'm a pretty selfish ambassador of the restaurant scene. First of all, I really enjoy bragging about Chicago. I always have, and I'm sure I always will. And let's face it, with Top Chefs, Iron Chefs, and big time culinary award winners, we Chicagoans have a LOT to brag about. But beyond all that, I've realized that some of my favorite memories have been made over girls' night out dinners, Wednesday Night Date Nights, and impromptu sushi that turns into 3 hours of literally life changing conversation. These are things that I am NOT willing to give up, and so I'll do whatever I can to keep getting what I want. I know I'm selfish and honestly, I'm okay with it.

That's why I love Chicago Originals and why I was so eager to support their annual restaurant week in late January. Chicago Originals promotes local dollars staying in local restaurants that support vital local charities. Chicago Originals "believes that a vibrant, independent restaurant community makes our city a better place." I couldn't agree more. To support these local efforts, Dish and I made our dinner reservations last Friday at The Grocery Bistro (804 W. Washington).

The cozy BYOB offered the perfect setting for a snowy night, its communal seating and small bar overlooking the kitchen set the tone for an all food, no fuss experience. Despite our reservation, we had to wait for a table. Normally, that would annoy me, but the Bistro staff was wonderfully attentive, giving us frequent updates on our wait status. A glass of wine and less than 15 minutes later, we settled into our booth and ordered the Charcuterie for Two. Though I could've done without the Foie Gras Tourchon (which tasted to us like a very strange strawberry ice cream) and Pork Pate, the Rabbit Rillette's citrusy kick was delicious and the sweet Mission Fig Mustard coupled perfectly with the salty Duck Prosciutto. The Braised Pork Cheek was extremely tender and flavorful and paired with rich pumpkin polenta and roasted Granny Smith apples- a wonderful combination of flavors. The duck entree special was equally scrumptious, served in an au jus with savory duck confit.

On our second bottle of wine, we were ready to satisfy our sweet tooth with dessert. Unfortunately, this is where we hit the low spot of the evening. The Spiced Donuts tasted as though they were fried with the meats and potatoes, and the Pots de Creme fell way short of our expectations.

Ultimately, Dish & I thoroughly enjoyed our evening at The Grocery Bistro. The neighborhood-y feel, the cozy decor, good food, and mission to keep great restaurants thriving in Chicago make this BYOB a definite must-try. This is why I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment