Thursday, October 15, 2009

Honoring Authenticity- Zapatista

At the turn of the 20th century, Emilio Zapata lead his revolutionaries, the Zapatistas, on the quest for freedom and the opportunity to own land in Mexico. Almost a hundred years later, Zapata's legend is honored by 21st century followers at one of Chicago's most authentic Mexican eateries, appropriately named Zapatista (1307 S Wabash).

A few months ago, a fellow foodie friend and I started a new tradition of Wednesday Night Date Night. Since he shares my enthusiasm for great food and my love for this awesome city, our "dates" are actually more like binges and our conversations are had through a mouth full of food. On our most recent date night, we traveled to the South Loop to enjoy a magnificent, truly authentic Mexican meal.

Situated between some of the cities most acclaimed restaurants, Zapatista has built their reputation on providing a genuine experience in Mexican culture and cuisine. The restaurant's rustic decor captures so many elements of Mexican architecture with tiled backdrops, rounded archways, and traditional artwork. After examining their full page of tequilas, I was almost convinced I was in Mexico.

Per our server's recommendation, we started with the guacamole made-to-order and its no wonder it is the restaurant's claim to fame. Coupled with the homemade tortilla chips, this guac is the perfect blend of lime, cilantro and spices and it was gone in an eye blink (which is scary, since Josh doesn't eat guacamole). We soon discovered that one dish is better than the next, and as we indulged in our order of Queso Fundido and fresh corn tortillas, I was pretty sure that I was, in fact, in Mexico. Nothing says "OLE" better than a skillet full of melted Chihuahua cheese, spicy chorizo, and roasted poblanos, and as I sip my Rioja, I can almost hear the mariachi band playing in the background.

I couldn't decide which soup to try, so I ordered the Frijole Negro and forced Josh to order the Tortilla so that I can taste test. Though they are both delicious, the Tortilla soup's tomato-chipotle broth and shredded chicken boast all the flavors of a traditional Mexican tortilla soup and it takes me a few minutes to realize that I've finished the entire bowl before he had a second bite (whoops!).

Staying true to the concept of trying traditional Mexican dishes, we ordered chicken fajitas and cheese quesadillas (with a chicken taco on the side). All I can say is it was love at first bite. The minute I thought I had tried my favorite entree, I was gushing over my bite into the next dish. With a weak spot for cheese, its no wonder I couldn't stop eating the Tres Queso Enchiladas. I must say, though, that the mole verde truly made the dish, adding a perfect flavor and spice. Thank goodness there were left over tortilla chips in my basket because it would've been heartbreaking to let a drop of that mole go to waste! I imagine the fajitas were equally delicious because they were devoured before I had a chance to ask for more than the one small bite I was given.

True to their word, Zapatista provides an authentic experience in simple Mexican dishes and atmosphere. After an indulgent night in amazing Mexican cuisine it was official: we, too, were Zapatistas, anxious for our next trip to the restaurant to honor the great revolutionary by eating our body weight in incredibly delicious Mexican food.

No comments:

Post a Comment