Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Vince's Italian Restaurant

It is indisputable that the words "Chicago" and "Italian" walk hand in hand. In the 20's, Chicago had the 3rd highest ranking Italian population in the entire country, and with them the Italians brought us Chicagoans their incredible culinary stylings, from rich rigatoni to savory marsala sauces...and don't forget the Cannolis!

Though the actual city of Chicago offers a wide range of Italian restaurants, from mom and pop shops to five star establishments, one of my all-time favorite Italian eateries is located just outside city limits in a little town called Harwood Heights.

Vince's Italian Restaurant (4747 N. Harlem) offers the rustic Italian flavors in their dishes and a classy, comfortable atmosphere, making the establishment perfect for private parties, Friday Night Date Night (there is a live band), or jeans-on-a-Wednesday dinner with the girls. Co-Owners Savino "Nuccio" D'Argento and Rocco DeFrenza both come from small towns in Bari, Italy and refined their skills in the kitchens of some of the country's best chefs- their mothers. It's no mystery, then, that the food at Vince's highlights simple, traditional dishes as most of the recipes used have been passed on from generation to generation.

Bring a big Italian appetite with you to Vince's; there is much to be tasted and dishes are very generously portioned. Don't waste time on dinner rolls, but do try the homemade foccacia bread. Served warm, the light, fluffy dough is perfectly seasoned and covered with deliciously fresh tomatoes (I confess, I have eaten an entire loaf by myself before). Be a good Italian and order a seafood appetizer. The calamari is the house speciality, served grilled or fried with marinara- not cocktail sauce- just the way my Nona would serve it. The mussels in the white wine sauce are a must-have (and don't forget to dinge your bread in the juice before they take the bowl away), and the Baked Clams,coated in a savory buttered bread crumb and Parmesan crust, shouldn't be overlooked.

Entrees are served with a choice of soup or salad, and I opt for the cheese Tortellini in Brodo, but Vince's offers the option for meat tortellini and a choice of either beef or chicken broth. The extensive entree menu can seem a bit overwhelming, but don't feel flustered by the abundance of options. The Risotto con Pollo is decadent, an elegant comfort food that's delicately seasoned and cooked to perfection. Zuppa di Pesce, an Italian classic, is a hearty combination of mussels, calamari, cod, salmon and shrimp over al dente linguine. Or, keep it simple and order the Margherita Pizza, served with juicy tomatoes and thick bocconcini cheese, topped with basil so fresh I swear they just picked it off the plant in back.

I would be remiss to not mention my all-time favorite dish, the entree I order nearly every time I eat there (I'm not gonna lie, I usually order a second helping to bring home with me), the dish they will likely rename "The Marcee Special" because everyone in the restaurant knows its my favorite- Rigatoni alla Vodka. As a self-proclaimed vodka sauce connoisseur, I've sampled a fair share of sauce in my day. I've had the too creamy, too tomatoe-y, not enough vodka, too tart and everything in between. But not at Vince's. The vodka sauce there is an impeccable blend of ingredients resulting in a truly sublime final product.

Vince's Italian Restaurant serves up incredible Italian classics that truly feel old world. I confess that I am a city snob and usually laugh at the idea of having to drive outside city limits, but Vince's is absolutely worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment