Monday, October 12, 2009

On Cloud 9- Silver Cloud Bar & Grill

I woke up this morning feeling all achy and sick. I self diagnosed a fever among approximately 15 other ailments that are seriously dragging me down. Unlike most people I know, being sick doesn't stop my belly from rumbling for a delicious meal, and on a day like today there is only one place I can think of in this entire city that will make me feel better- Silver Cloud Bar & Grill (1700 N. Damen).

Situated in the heart of Bucktown, Silver Cloud offers the best comfort food in the city (and, let's be honest, probably the entire state). On an average visit, I like to start with an order of Frito Pie aka the "White Trash Nachos" - deliciously salty Fritos baked with Silver Cloud's homemade chili and topped with cheese. Yes, they are a stomach ache waiting to happen, but they are worth every bite. Too scared for chili and cheese topped chips? Try the more traditional Artichoke Dip or Baked Goat Cheese with marinara sauce. Classic, yet satisfying.

On a day like today, when I feel all yucky, the Chicken in a Bowl soup is the answer to my prayers. Cooked to order, this hearty soup, made with chicken, vegetables, lime juice, cilantro and topped with crispy tortilla strips is heavenly.

In the true spirit of serving gourmet comfort food, Silver Cloud cleverly concocts a gooey grilled cheese sandwich on Italian bread, served aside a piping hot bowl of Campbell's tomato soup. YUM. With every bite, I am transported back to my childhood and can't help but reminisce about sitting in my parent's kitchen on a cold winter day in Chicago, enjoying a warm mom-cooked meal, my cheeks rosy from the bitter gusts of wind and my hands frozen from packing snowballs in my front yard.

Though I rarely pass up a masterful Grilled Cheese, Silver Cloud's true claim to fame is their Sloppy Joe sandwich. In their modesty, the cast of characters at Silver Cloud calls the sandwich "average". To me, "average" implies cafeteria aid with a hair net, scooping piles of mush onto a soggy bun. Perfectly spiced on a toasted roll, served super sloppy with a side of tots, this Joe is anything but. Paired with a cold Anchor Steam, this Joe holds a special place in my heart.

With other scrumptious options like Grandma's Meatloaf and Pot Pie, its nearly impossible to not plan your next trip to Silver Cloud before dinner is over. Just make sure to leave room for dessert, because Silver Cloud's menu of time-honored favorites like S'Mores, Fluffer Nutter Sandwiches, and Old Fashion Apple Pie truly complete the meal.

On a crisp Fall day, or a cold winter evening (or a sunny spring day or hot summer sizzler), Silver Cloud is the final destination for comfort food in Chicago, with stick-to-your-ribs dishes that make you want to scream for more. Sil-ver Cloud! Sil-ver Cloud!

No comments:

Post a Comment