Monday, October 19, 2009

Kyoto Sushi

Most people I know associate the word "sushi" with fresh tuna, salmon and white fish or vegetables like avocado or cucumber, sticky white rice and seaweed. I hear the words Rainbow Roll and think "Death Trap" as I start to feel my throat closing.

With two nearly fatal attempts at eating fish under my belt, it would be normal to assume that I make for a pretty rotten sushi date. The thing is, a little thing like anaphylactic shock can't keep me away from a great eating adventure. That's just not how I roll. (I can eat shellfish because I'm weird and opposite from everyone else on the planet with a seafood allergy.)

I've grown used to the quizzical looks I get from servers and sushi chefs, but I'm always worried about walking into a new sushi restaurant and explaining to the server how to accommodate my restrictions, and such was the case on my Saturday night excursion to Kyoto (2534 N. Lincoln Ave), a BYOB Sushi Restaurant in Lincoln Park.

I was referred to Kyoto by a friend of mine who proclaims he is their best customer (he very well may be- he eats there at least 3 times a week), and he demanded we sit at the sushi bar and ask for Chef Carlos. I had barely opened my menu before Chef insisted that reading the menu was unnecessary. Rather, he urged us to tell him what kind of fish we enjoyed and he would take care of the rest. I hesitated before rambling off that I couldn't eat fish, scallops, or any type of roe/masago. I winced as I waited for the usual "why are you in a sushi joint?" look, but Chef Carlos simply nodded and said, "I can work with that."

While we sipped on some red wine and snacked on edamame, Chef Carlos prepared an exquisite appetizer of unagi tempura topped with cream cheese and drizzled with unagi sauce. Next, he presented a beautiful martini glass layered with shredded carrots and cucumber and topped with tender udon noodles. Catering to my restrictions, my cocktail was topped with succulent shrimp tossed in unagi sauces.

I anxiously awaited for our maki rolls to come having indulged in such inspired appetizers custom tailored to meet my needs. I devoured my specially created shrimp and crab maki roll and felt fortunate that, for reviewing purposes, my friend could sample a platter of different house specialities, including the Snowball, a rice sphere topped with super white tuna and a truffle, scallion and soy sauce that she deemed "A- MAZING."

Though everything we ate was phenomenal, the best part of our dinner at Kyoto was Chef Carlos's careful attention to guests' needs. He went above and beyond to make sure that I could have an incredible dining experience, even though I am not the average sushi eater. And that made me realize, even people who don't particularly favor the idea of slurping down raw fish can join in on a sushi dinner, just make sure you let Chef Carlos know what you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment